Let’s Map It!
Submit your Mapping Project to email@example.com by May 15th, and you’ll be entered in our 2019-2020 Mapping Contest!
The first 15 projects submitted will recieve a $25 Amazon Gift Card. All projects submitted by May 15th will be eligible for the Grand Prize.
GIS mapping is an amazing technology that can help you visualize and understand our world in a whole new way. This is done by marking points of interest, mapping the length of features, and measuring the area of space. All of this, and more, are possible when combined into a simple easy-to-read map.
In this activity, your family will:
- Create a GIS map using MapItFast software
- Learn how to create points, lines, polygons, and geophotos within a map
- Mobile device with GPS capability
- Computer with internet access (optional)
Key Words to know:
Line – a mapping feature used to measure distance
GeoPhoto – a photo of an object located at a specific location
Point – a mapping feature used to mark geographic coordinates
Polygon – a mapping feature used to measure the area of a space
- Sign up for a MapItFast account through Wyoming Agriculture in the Classroom at:
- Download MapItFast from GooglePlay or the Appstore. OR Log in to MapItFast at agterra.mapitfast.com
Do the Activity:
- Go to a place where you can create a map of the area. (i.e. a small acreage, where you walk your dog, a local park, or a family trip)
- Open MapItFast on your mobile device and practice marking different features on your map.
- While you’re adding features to your map, think about some of the things you’re noticing about the area. Some things you notice may include:
- Do some features seem smaller or larger on the map than when you look at the area?
- Are you surprised about the actual distance between objects?
- Is an area small or larger than you thought it would be?
- Did you notice something new, that you wouldn’t have before?
- Other observations?
- When you’re done with your map, create a short video (30 seconds – 1 minute) of you explaining your map and what you learned. If you’re comfortable sharing it with us, you can email your video to firstname.lastname@example.org
The MapItFast app used in this activity has been generously sponsored by AgTerra Technologies. We may share your video with our sponsors but will not otherwise share your video without your express permission.
Learn more about mapping and some of Wyoming’s amazing features with these lessons and resources from the Wyoming Stewardship Project
- Outdoor Recreation & Tourism – Lesson 4 Students create a 3-D model of Wyoming’s terrain.
- Outdoor Recreation & Tourism – Lesson 3 Students will learn about landforms in Wyoming, and how erosion and weathering have played a role in forming them.